North Shore Aero Clubs Young Eagles
Have you ever felt that inner excitement when you see an airplane roar overhead? Have you ever wished you were in the pilot’s seat?
Whether you are interested in aviation as a career or just for fun, the Young Eagles at the North Shore Aero Club could be the starting point for your lifelong aviation adventure.
The North Shore Aero Club runs the Young Eagles programme, under the auspices of Flying NZ, to foster and give young people the opportunity to have flying and aviation related experiences. Through this programme, the North Shore Aero Club hopes to let young people find out just how many exciting opportunities and careers exist for motivated people in the wide field of aviation. The Young Eagles structured programme runs from early March through to October each year. Most of the activities are normally 1-6 hours duration and will be on Saturday mornings between 9.00 am and 3:00pm with the exception of a few activities that are scheduled as mid-week day or evening trips.
As a Young Eagles programme member you will get the opportunity to experience flying for yourself. You will have the opportunity to take the controls of an aircraft, experience how it works and look down on the world below from the big blue sky above. The successful applicants will receive 4 x half hour, fully sponsored, hands on flights with qualified NSAC flight instructors, as well as going on trips to the Whenuapai Air Force Base, Auckland International Airport tower and Oceanic control centre, NZ Warbirds based at Ardmore and other aviation experiences. There will also be opportunities to meet club members and to participate in club events throughout the year.
The North Shore Aero Club asks for 15 – 18 yr old young people who would like to participate in the Young Eagles programme to apply on the registration form. From the applications received, a short list will be chosen and requested to attend the club for interviews and up to 12 students will be chosen to participate in the programme. At the end of the programme the Young Eagles will also have the opportunity to compete for one of 5 annual Flying NZ scholarships worth $3000 to continue their flight training at North Shore Aero Club. The NSAC charges a small fee of $150.00 per participant for the programme.
The programme offers;
- 2 x 1 hour theory lessons,
- 4 x half hour trial flights with qualified NSAC flight instructors,
- 3-4 aviation related experiences and trips,
- fellowship with other aviators.
To be eligible for selection;
- you must not have had any flight training,
- you must not be the son or daugther of an aero club member,
- must be aged 15-18yrs old,
- must not be colour-blind,
- must have excellent hearing,
- must be of good health to the standard of the CAA Class 2 medical examination,
- must be physically capable of controlling an aircraft.
To apply to participate in the NSAC Young Eagles programme;
- Click on the link below to apply,
- Fill in the registration form accurately,
- Get your parent or guardian’s permission,
- Write an essay telling us why you want to be selected (in 300 words or less).